Starting out.

As I begin this Forest School Journey alongside my current role as classroom teacher I'm struggling to marry the expectations, or perceived expectations of a program that is intended to accelerate progress of students in literacy and the process of learning through self discovery.

I am excited yet nervous about embarking on this course and what may come to light in terms of my practice.  I feel torn between having school pay for the course, a little bit of pressure to 'achieve' something and provide evidence when naturally I would like to see how the children adopt the forest schools approach and respond to it.  I want to be sure to offer them an authentic opportunity and experience that is not coloured by my expectations or requirements.

As I start this course I feel a deep sense of responsibility as a teacher and as a parent, a responsibility to allow for self expression and self discovery and not impose thoughts, ideas or feelings on my students or children.  I have a strong belief that children will learn naturally and without specific direction when they feel connected, and safe.  As I move through the training I want to keep this in mind and to use the readings and evidence I collect to prompt my thinking around this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 forest school practical

Extremes